The undergraduate advisor for World Languages:
Fall 2018 Walk-In Advising Hours for World Languages:
(Starting August 29, 2018)
- Wednesday: 2:00pm - 4:00pm
- Thursday: 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Advising Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. In order to receive a minor in French or German a student only has to take three (9 hours) upper level classes (3000 or 4000) past 2050. I recommend that these students come by my office (LANG 101-F) in order to find out what classes are best for them after 2050 and for me to add the minor to their records in EIS. Although we don't have a "form" to fill out to declare a minor, I want students to let their major advisor know that they have a minor in French, German, etc.
2. A score of 3 or better on the AP foreign language exam will give a student up to 12 credit hours (all 4 beginning and intermediate semesters). UNT does not give credit for passing the AP Literature exam.
3. We do not offer upper level foreign language classes in the summer (only beginning and intermediate). If you are interested in receiving upper-level credits, you may register for a Study Abroad program.
4. For study abroad programs, typically you must first go to Global Learning and Experience in Sage Hall, Room 236. There you can get a pre-approval form and speak with a study abroad advisor, 940-565-2207.
5. A foreign language major can transfer credit to UNT for taking up to five advanced level classes (15 hours) taken at another four-year university (first being approved by College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences and our department) or a pre-approved study abroad program.
6. Students who are native speakers of a language that is not offered in our department can take a proficiency exam to earn a waiver for required language courses, as long as it is approved by their major program. Please see the Resources section for detailed information about proficiency testing.
7. The CLEP Exam is an option for earning credit in a few foreign languages, but it is either scored as passing beginning 1 & 2 classes or all 4 classes. Please consult UNT Counseling & Testing Services for details about the CLEP Exam.
8. Our department placement exam allows students to earn anywhere from 3-12 credit hours. Please see the Resources section for detailed information about placement testing.
9. Students may be asked to show proof of prerequisite to enroll in some courses. Please see the Resources section for detailed information about Course Prerequisites.