Placement Testing Schedule
- Wednesday, August 28 11:00am - 12:30pm GAB 330D
- Friday, August 30 10:00am - 12:00pm GAB 330D
- Wednesday, September 4 11:00am - 12:30pm GAB 330D
- Monday, September 16 11:00am - 12:30pm GAB 330D
- Wednesday, September 25 11:00am - 12:30pm GAB 330D
- Friday, October 11 11:00am - 12:30pm GAB 330D
- Wednesday, November 6 11:00am - 12:30pm GAB 330D
- Monday, November 18 11:00am - 12:30pm GAB 330D
- Friday, November 22 11:00am - 12:30pm GAB 330D
*effective Fall 2012, 1010 and 1020 for all languages will be 3 credit hours (instead of 4). Students who are new to UNT as of Fall 2012 will earn a maximum of 12 hours from the placement test.
Placement Testing Information
- You must be a UNT student or accepted as a student to take the test. The test is offered for languages taught at UNT: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian, and Spanish.
- The test can only be taken one time. The only exception to this rule is for graduate students who are using the placement test to qualify for the Graduate Translation Exam.
- Tests in French, German, Russian, Italian, and Spanish are computer-based. Arabic is a written test. Tests in Chinese, Japanese, and Latin are done via Scantron. We now offer both Traditional and Simplified Chinese tests.
- The computer-based test consists of multiple-choice questions in vocabulary, grammar, and reading comprehension to test you from the 1010 level through the 2050 level. You may receive between 3 and 12 hours credit, depending on the score. The test can take anywhere from 5-90 minutes to complete.
- The test is free; however, if a student places out of credit hours and wants that credit posted on his/her transcript, there is a flat fee of $53.00 placed on his/her school bill. In order to receive credit on your transcript, be sure to ask the Testing Coordinator or a member of the office staff about this as soon as you receive your results. For students who do not need to pay for the credit, a note will go on your transcript declaring that you took the placement exam and stating how well you did (e.g. Proficient in GERM 1010, 1020).
- Please consult the schedule for dates and times of testing. The test must be taken at the scheduled location, unless otherwise specified.
- Students must provide a valid UNT student ID number and a picture ID. Students must sign in with the proctor at least 30 mintutes before the ending time.
- Students must finish by the designated ending time otherwise the test will be canceled and the student will not be allowed to retake it.
- Students who are fluent in languages that we do not offer at UNT should look in the Profiency Testing section under Resources or contact the department main office for further information. Though we cannot provide credit, we may be able to test you and waive the foreign language requirement for you.
- *New as of November 2011: Students may now take the placement exam if they have already earned credit in the language they are testing in. For example, if you started in SPAN 1010 and did very well, thinking you might be able to place out of the next class, you may take the placement exam to earn credit or proficiency in SPAN 1020, and then register for SPAN 2040.